This link is to register for the eight round, four game (total 32 game) tournament. (Please note there is a separate registration for the Four rounds, four games/round, Total of 16 games here.)
We know many of us are missing playing in our weekly games and tournaments. We invite you to join us for a virtual ModernMahjong.com Tournament on December 13-20, 2020.
Extra time is given this month for all of the holidays!
You'll set up your own tables, keep track of your own scores, and play four rounds of four games (total of 32 for the entire tournament) on your own schedule! See below for more details.
At checkout, please select the website and if part of of foursome or an individual that is looking to be paired.
- Play can be on any of the following websites that play by NMJL rules:
- Myjongg.net, and
- the NMJL online game.
- You can register as part of a foursome or as a single player.
- If you have a foursome to play, great! Your foursome can register individually or one of you can complete the payment and registration for all four. If you have more than four in your group, feel free to change tables for each round.
- If you don't have a foursome, we will do our best to match players in a table of four on your desired platform.
- Please note, if there are not four players for your specific platform, and you would still like to play, you can enter and play against bots. However, there will a different prize system will be awarded for players playing against bots.
- When registering, please be sure to select which platform you would like to be playing on. By checking out, you are confirming that we can email you and provide the email address you registered with to the other three other players that you are paired with to play.
- It will be up to the groups to schedule time of play and create their table on their desired platform.
- The tournament will consist of four rounds of four games each round over the course of December 13-20, 2020.
- Entry fee is $36 per player. A percentage of proceeds will be donated to the non-profit Good Karma Pet Rescue.
- Within a week before the tournament, you will receive information via email about the tournament including a score sheet to complete for each game and each round. Scoring is the same value as the points on the card.
- The winner of each game will be awarded the value of the hand on the 2020 NMJL card.
- PLEASE DO NOT LOOK TO THE WEBSITE YOU ARE PLAYING ON FOR SCORING.
- Bonus of 10 points for a self-picked mah jongg. This includes exchanging for a Joker and then calling mah jongg.
- Bonus of 20 points for a winning hand with no Jokers (Jokerless hand) but not for hands in the Singles and Pairs section.
- In a wall game, all players that do not have a dead hand are awarded 10 points for a wall game. A player that has a dead hand gets 0 points. Please note: Many sites allow you to call a player’s hand dead. If you are playing on a site that doesn’t call a hand dead, and another player alerts the table you are dead and you are, you get 0 points in a wall game.
- Player discarding the tile that results in Mah Jongg:
- Minus 10 points for two exposures
- Minus 25 points for three exposures
- The tournament will kick off on December 13, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Don't worry West coast players, you do not need to start playing that early.
- Play can take place at any time between the kick off and the close of the tournament.
- Players results must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. EST on Sunday, December 20, 2020.
- The minimum Tournament prizes for players competing at tables of four live players are as follows. However, depending on the number of registered players, there may be more prizes for additional players:
- Prizes for the eight round tournament will be posted soon. As the number of players increase, we will add more prizes for fourth place, fifth place etc. Prizes will be posted before the tournament.
- If at the time of the tournament, we have players that are playing at tables with bots, we will announce the prizes for "bot tables" that will be awarded before the tournament.
- Deadline to register as a single player is December 7, 2020 by 6 p.m. EST. If it is later than this date and you would like to register, please email email@example.com and we will try to accommodate your registration.
- Registration fees are not refundable after December 1, 2020. If after registration you cannot play. Your registration fee will be included in the donation to Good Karma Pet Rescue.
- Deadline to register as a foursome is by December 8, 2020 by 5 p.m. EST. If you would like to register after this date, please email us to see if we can accommodate your registration.
- We understand that each platform has slightly different nuances. We appreciate your understanding that we are trying to reach and include as many mahjong players that would like to take part so these differences will be overlooked.
- More details will be on the Score Sheet and how East will verify the players scores at their table will be sent by email. Scoring will be based on the values of the 2020 NMJL card with:
- bonus for Jokerless hands,
- bonus for self-picked,
- penalty for throwing a hot tile, and
- 10 points will be awarded for wall games.
- With regards to a "dead hand": Since some platforms do not call all hands dead, if a player’s hand is called dead by another player in the messages and/or in the game, and the hand is dead, they do not get points for a wall game.
- Please email ModernMahjong@gmail.com if you have any questions.
- We are looking forward to our ModernMahjong tournament and hope this is the first of many fun and exciting events!